- Professor of Vocal Coaching and Accompanying
- Coordinator of Voice and Opera
The Florida State University College of Music is a world-wide leader in the field of voice study.
The Florida State University College of Music is a world-wide leader in the field of voice study. Our undergraduate and graduate voice performance degrees offer comprehensive study in all areas necessary to prepare for careers as performers and educators including language and diction study; classes in vocal literature, vocal pedagogy, opera performance, music history and theory. Our program offers numerous performance opportunities for our diverse population of students in opera productions, choral ensembles, and vocal chamber music. Upon graduation, our students are well prepared for admission into young artist programs, more advanced degree programs in the best schools and conservatories, and/or careers in academia
Our graduates perform throughout the world at major opera companies, including the Metropolitan Opera, San Francisco Opera, Wiener Staatsoper, Lyric Opera of Chicago, and Paris Opéra, as well as regional opera companies throughout the United States and Europe. Former students are also performing with major symphony orchestras and in concert throughout the world.
The voice program at the Florida State University College of Music will prepare you for success, whatever your goals as a classical performer may be.
Bridges to your career
On campus experience with guest artists who are leading performers in the music world, develops our students to go on to perform as a soloist in recitals, opera houses, Broadway shows or join a professional choral ensemble. They also teach in leading colleges and universities in America and abroad, while also winning prestigious awards and competitions as a polished performer. Additional opportunities allow our musicians to engage in the profession as a stage director or a pianist-coach.
Find Your Voice
While studying in our program, students have opportunities to sing in all styles and genres including classical, theatre, jazz, and commercial music. In addition, we offer several choral and vocal groups that perform on campus and in tour performances. Our opera program produces three productions per year, fully staged with live orchestra. Collaborative pianists, along with other instrumentalists offer a rich variety of amazing musical settings.
Our large selection of degree programs allows you to explore your vocal abilities and focus on the music you love. We will provide you with the skill and artistry to be successful in today’s professional area.
For more information about the Voice & Opera program, contact Valerie Trujillo.
Voice & Opera Faculty
- Prepare for a singing career in this comprehensive program that includes:
- Weekly applied lessons and vocal studio classes in repertoire
- Large and small ensembles of all genres
- Vocal diction, pedagogy, and foreign language
- Graduates can be found through the fields of performance, teaching, and research, recognized nationally and internationally for their high level of excellence and professionalism
- Graduates have been accepted for graduate study at major music schools of music in the United States and Europe.
- Students in all degrees study privately with some of the best performer/teachers in the world
- Versatile degree that allows students to pursue their wide-ranging interests while receiving musical training in one of the country’s top music programs
- Weekly private lessons and studio classes with world-class faculty
- Includes possible emphasis in Sacred Music, General Music, Jazz and Commercial Music
- Students who wish to continue their professional development as performers
- Competitive admission for high-level performers
- Prepares students to excel in a performance career
- Abundant performance opportunities in a variety of settings:
- Solo voice recitals
- Opera and Musical roles
- Choral and vocal ensemble performance
- Chamber music in collaboration with a wide range of vocalists and instrumentalists
- Offers students rigorous training as performer, teacher, and researcher
- Prepares students for teaching at the university level through multiple and varied recital opportunities, pedagogy training and mentorship, and research
- Flexible degree plan to support each student’s goals and interests
Specialized Studies Programs
Enhance your musical study by adding one of our Specialized Studies Programs that focus on Performance, Entrepreneurship, Sacred Music, Early Music, Jazz and other areas.