- Professor of Music Education
- Director of Undergraduate Choral Studies
FSU offers conducting students individualized instruction and ample podium time in the context of a large, diverse graduate conducting cohort
Conducting students encounter a wide variety of experiences, working with large ensembles, as well as both auditioned and non-auditioned collegiate ensembles. Graduate conductors serve as an integral part of the FSU choral and instrumental area and are immersed in all aspects of running these collegiate programs, giving them a comprehensive experience
The conducting program places a strong emphasis on collegiality, enabling students to form strong professional relationships that will enrich their future careers. Conducting students work together and with students from across the College of Music, building a plurality of lasting relationships.
In addition to the conducting faculty, students also learn from internationally-recognized faculty in the areas of music education, applied voice, music theory, and musicology. Students are actively encouraged to learn and grow from observation of and dialogue with each other.
A Tailored Fit
Graduate conducting students earn degrees with ample customization, allowing for experiences important to the development of each unique individual. Degree programs allow students to focus on a future in teaching or as professional conductor in a myriad of settings.
- Choral, Orchestral, or Wind Conducting emphasis.
- This unique program places primary emphasis on orchestral conducting via a nationally leading music education program intended to prepare the student for a career in higher education.
- Students in the PhD serve as conducting assistants in the major choral, orchestral and wind ensembles, teach undergraduate beginning conducting courses, and assist the faculty directors in the management of a large ensemble studies program.
- In partnership with a national leading music education program, this highly selective degree program offers a qualified and experienced music directorship of a college-level ensemble as well as instruction from the conducting faculty.