The College of Music occupies five buildings on the north-east corner of campus. The Housewright Music Building, the Kuersteiner Music Building, and the Longmire Building house faculty offices, classrooms, and recital halls. The Warren D. Allen Music Library and a state-of-the-art recording studio are also in the Housewright Music Building, while the Music Technology Resource Center can be found in the Kuersteiner Music Building.
Many undergraduate music majors choose to live together in the Music Living-Learning Center at Cawthon Hall. This residence hall, just a two-minute walk from the College of Music, houses up to 150 music students who attend class there. The Music Living-Learning Center has a group piano studio and music technology resource center, plus classrooms and rehearsal and practice spaces.
The College operates five performance halls--Ruby Diamond Concert Hall, Opperman Music Hall, Dohnányi Recital Hall, Lindsay Recital Hall, Longmire Recital Hall--as well as the Owen Sellers Amphitheatre.
The College of Music's history dates back to 1900, when music instruction began with only one teacher of vocal and instrumental music. By 1911, the teaching staff had grown to six faculty members. That same year, Ella Scoble Opperman, for whom Opperman Music Hall is named, became the director of the school, and the first bachelor of music was awarded by vote of the faculty. By 1920, Professor Opperman had become the dean of the School and served in that capacity until her retirement in 1944. The College of Music proudly celebrated its centennial during the 2010-2011 school-year with the re-opening of the completely renovated Ruby Diamond Concert Hall.
Extensive collection of virtual and physical resources
Performance Hall Booking
How to book a space
Ruby Diamond Concert Hall
Opperman Music Hall
Longmire Recital Hall
Dohnányi Recital Hall
Lindsay Recital Hall
Owen Sellers Amphitheatre
Music Technology Resource Center