FSU Seal - Black.png

Academic Guidebook - Undergraduate

Being a College of Music student takes some planning. This guidebook contains the necessary steps for an undergraduate to complete a Music degree.

Degree Requirements

A chronological guide to earning your Music Degree


First Term Considerations

Applied Placement Level

The term Applied Music refers to the study of performance on a particular instrument. Applied lessons must be taken every semester (Fall, Spring) until applied music degree requirements are met. Your Applied Music Placement Level (or simply Applied Level) refers to the level of proficiency at which you are studying, as follows:

Secondary level: For Music minors, majors studying a "second" instrument, or non-majors
Principal level: For Music majors pursuing any music degree except BM-Performance
Performance level: For Music majors accepted into a BM-Performance program

Your Applied Music Placement Level is designated as a course number using the following numbering system:


MVV 3331 = Junior Voice Principal Level
MVW 2423 = Sophomore Clarinet Performance Level

Prefix - MV_ - Instrument Category

Applied Music course numbers begin with MV_. The third letter refers to your instrument category as follows:

MVB = Brass
MVJ = Jazz
MVK = Keyboard
MVP = Percussion
MVS = Strings
MVV = Voice
MVW = Woodwinds

First Numerical digit - MV_ 2423 - Level of Study

The first numerical digit MVW 2423 refers to your level of study.

Your applied music level may not correspond with your academic level. Some students may be a year or more behind in their applied study. For example, a transfer student may have earned 60 hours of college credit (Junior status), but with little playing experience, might be placed in Freshman Applied Music (for example, MVW 1311). A student's applied music level may not be higher than his/her academic level.

1 = Freshman
2 = Sophomore
3 = Junior
4 = Senior
5 = Graduate

Second Numerical digit - MV_ 2423 - Placement Level

The second numerical digit MVW 2423 refers to your Applied Music Placement Level as follows:
2 = Secondary
3 = Principal
4 = Performance

Third Numerical digit - MV_ 2423 - Same as First Digit

The third numerical digit is always the same as the first: MVW 2423

Fourth Numerical digit - MV_ 242- Instrument Category

The fourth numerical digit indicates your particular instrument within your instrument category: MVW 2423
(NOTE: Each category is in score order).

Brass Jazz Keyboard Percussion
1 = Trumpet
2 = French Horn
3 = Trombone
4 = Euphonium
5 = Tuba
0 = Piano
1 = Voice
2 = Violin
3 = Guitar
4 = Double Bass
5 = Flute
6 = Saxophone
7 = Trumpet
8 = Trombone
9 = Percussion
1 = Piano
2 = Harpsichord
3 = Organ
4 = Piano Pedagogy
1 = Percussion
Strings Voice Woodwinds
1 = Violin
2 = Viola
3 = Cello
4 = Double Bass
5 = Harp
6 = Guitar
1 = Voice
2 = Musical Theatre
1 = Flute
2 = Oboe
3 = Clarinet
4 = Bassoon
5 = Saxophone

Preparatory Level

MV_101_, Preparatory Applied Placement: This placement level is for students admitted on a preparatory basis. The third letter and the fourth numerical digit correspond to the student's instrument. Preparatory students must jury at the conclusion of one or two semesters of study to advance to the freshman level. Preparatory level does not carry credit for applied music major requirements.

Group Piano/Class Voice Placement

These forms are filled out by faculty administering the placement/exemption exams, often during orientation. Copies showing the placement/exemption should be given to students completing the exams. Programs of Study list specific Group Piano/Class Voice requirements in your degree program.

Note: Group Piano/Class Voice exemptions carry no credit. Students exempting all or portions of their Group Piano/Class Voice requirements must take additional music course work above and beyond curricular requirements to substitute for the exempted hours.

Exemption and Placement Exams


This exam is given online prior to orientation and determines placement into either The Fundamentals of Theory (MUT 1001) or Music Theory I (MUT 1111) and Sightsinging I (MUT 1241L).


Music Theory exams will occur before the first day of classes every Fall and Spring terms at the discretion of the Theory Faculty. All Sight Singing/Ear Training exams will be given during the first class session of each section. Three hours of credit are awarded for each Music Theory course exempted and one hour for each Sight Singing/Ear Training course exempted. Contact Dr. Evan Jones (LON 213B, 644-8400) for more information. Times will be posted outside of HMU 203.


This exam is usually given at orientation and is optional for students wishing to exempt some levels of group piano. Students who have no previous piano experience who do not wish to take this exam will begin in MVK1111A their first term, if it is required by their degree program.


This exam, sometimes given at orientation, is optional for students wishing to exempt some levels of class voice. Students who have no previous vocal experience who do not wish to take this exam will begin in MVV1111 their first term, if it is required by their degree program.

For more information, please contact Wanda Brister-Rachwal (644-5073; KMU 325A).

Performance Area Seminars

College of Music Applied Music Seminars in most applied areas are held Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. When scheduling courses, Music majors must leave this time available.

Bachelor Degree Milestones

Jury Requirements

A jury is a performance for your applied area faculty (Woodwind, Brass Percussion, Strings, Voice, Keyboard, or Jazz) for which you receive overall comments and a grade. You must jury after two semesters of study to complete an applied level and/or progress to the next level. Your applied teacher may require you to take a jury examination at the end of any semester. You may elect to take a jury examination at the end of any semester, but it is not advisable to do so without the approval of your applied teacher. Failure to advance to the next level after three terms, or two failed juries, results in a change of major out of music.

Students studying at the preparatory level must jury no later than the end of the second term for placement at the freshman level.

Policies regarding juries vary among the applied areas. Consult your applied instructor or coordinator for specific details. Students who were not placed at the performance level, but who would like to audition for the BM-Performance degree may do so at the time of their jury. Juries are not required for students studying an instrument at the secondary level, including minors.


Types of Recitals

Special Recitals: Special Recitals may be given at any time during the academic career with permission of the applied teacher and availability of facilities. Special Recitals are good preparation for Junior or Senior recitals. Students often "share" a Special Recital with another performer, which provides each student with valuable performance experience and divides the responsibilities of recital planning.

Junior/Senior Recitals: BM-Performance majors must complete Junior and Senior recitals. Students register for Junior Recital (MV_3970) or Senior Recital (MV_4971) (0 hours credit) during the term the recital is presented. Composition majors present a recital of compositions during the senior year and register for MUC 4950 (0 hours credit).

Senior Project/Recitals: Music Education and Music Therapy majors must complete a Senior Recital or a Senior Project. Senior Recitals are encouraged. Students must have senior status, be admitted to professional sequence, and have completed the 3000 level of applied music by jury, and must register for Senior Project Recital (MUS 4970, 2 credit hours) the term in which the recital is given. This recital is prepared under the guidance of an applied instructor. BA-Music students may also give Senior Project Recitals.

Specialized Studies Program Recitals (formerly Certificate Recitals): Many Specialized Studies Programs require completion of a recital. Check Specialized Studies Program specifications (available in 204C HMU) for details, and consult your applied teacher for assistance.

All recitals: A $45 fee is charged for presenting a recital.

Recital Guidelines

  • A full recital is to be a minimum of 50 minutes and a maximum of 70 minutes.
  • A half recital is to be a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 35 minutes.
  • Junior recitals, Specialized Studies Recitals (Non-applied majors), and Senior Project recitals are to be Half-Recitals, i.e. shared with another student. A faculty member who wishes to have a student do a full recital must give approval before scheduling the recital. Students granted permission to play a full recital must play the recital prior to the last three weeks of classes [i.e. no special full recital will be scheduled during the last three weeks of classes for Fall or Spring semester, or during exam weeks]. All other recitals are full-length recitals.

Recital Examinations

  • Students requiring Senior, Junior, and Specialized Studies recitals should schedule the recital and the recital exam before the fourth week of classes. Students must enroll for the appropriate course number during the semester in which the recital is given.
  • A recital examination is required 10 days to two weeks before the performance of any student's recital in the College of Music.
  • Scheduling of examinations and notification of committees is the responsibility of the Scheduling Office, upon signed endorsement of the teacher concerned.
  • Undergraduate recital examinations are approved by the applied area faculty.

Tips for Success

Tips for Success with Recitals:

  1. Choose music and plan the program with applied teacher.
  2. Obtain an accompanist and/or additional performers.
  3. Obtain a date and place to perform (See Jacob Lane, HMU 112, 644-2705)
  4. See Wendy Smith (Publicity Office, 213 HMU, 644-4774) regarding recital programs.*
  5. Make posters to advertise the recital. Post on College of Music bulletin boards. DO NOT place them on walls, windows, or doors.
  6. Arrange for recording and plan stage set-up (644-5486).
  7. Arrange use of any special instruments (harpsichord, etc).

* Recitals by students given off campus do not appear on Music Events calendars unless specifically approved by Jacob Lane (HMU 112). They are not recorded by the College of Music and no printed programs are provided.

Graduation Clearance

Students must request "grad checks" from Rachel Ward (HMU 209, 644-3038) two semesters prior to graduation or internship. The grad check will identify all degree requirements remaining at that time. Allow a minimum of three weeks for completion. Students are strongly encouraged to contact the Graduation Section of the Registrar's Office and request a Liberal Studies grad check two semesters prior to graduation. Students must apply for graduation in the Graduation Office (A3900 University Center, 644-5850) at the beginning of the term in which their requirements will be completed. Deadlines for graduation application are published in the Registration Guide and on the Registrar's website ( http://registrar.fsu.edu)

Bachelor Degree Requirements

University Requirements

In addition to the specific Music major requirements listed on the Music Program of Study, the following University requirements must be met for all bachelor's degrees awarded at the Florida State University:

  1. Completion of  FSU's Liberal Studies requirements
  2. Completion of the  multicultural requirement.
  3. Completion of the  oral communication competency requirement.
  4. Completion of the  computer skills competency requirement.
  5. Minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
  6. Completion of at least 120 semester hours. (More for some majors.)
  7. Completion of at least 45 hours in upper division (3000-4000) courses. (30 hours must be at FSU)
  8. Completion of the final 30 hours in residence at FSU.
  9. Completion of at least 1/2 of the major coursework at FSU.
  10. At least 9 hours of summer study at a Florida senior institution.

Some of these requirements may vary according to number and type of transfer credits, and several may be met by "alternate" methods. Students are advised to consult the University General Bulletin: General Requirements, or the  FSYou website for details about these requirements.

College of Music Requirements

Curriculum guides for specific music major may be found  here, and academic maps with milestone courses at: the FSU Academic Program Guide. All majors in music, however, contain a common core of music course work in applied music (8 credit hours), music theory (16 credit hours), music history/literature (10 credit hours), ensembles (4 credit hours), and recital attendance (6 semesters of "S" credit). Additional work in these areas is required of specific majors.

Core Curriculum

Applied Music

Applied music lessons must be taken every semester (Fall, Spring) until applied music degree requirements are met. Your initial course number for Applied Music is indicated on your BOA/Faculty Advisor/Applied Music Placement half-sheet provided at orientation.

Refer to your program of study to determine the number of credit hours you will receive for Applied Music.

Complete your One-to-One Permit each semester.

See your applied teacher during the first two days of classes to arrange weekly lesson times. (Voice students who signed up in 203 HMU should check the 203 HMU door for teacher assignment.)

In addition to weekly lessons, applied teachers may hold Master/Studio Classes at designated times. Most applied areas also have bi-weekly Seminars (alternate Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m.). Consult your Coordinator or Applied Teacher for specific times, leaving time in your schedule accordingly. Also, reserve Wednesdays at 2:30 for Applied Area Seminars.

Requests for applied music instructor changes must be made to the Applied Music Coordinator for the appropriate area.

Students who have not been formally admitted into the College of Music are not eligible to take Applied Music at the principal level. Contact Meghan McCaskill (203 HMU) regarding the possibility of obtaining secondary lessons (on a space-available basis) in preparation for re-auditioning. If secondary lessons are unavailable, contact Wendy Smith (Publicity Office, 213 HMU 644-4774) at the beginning of the term for a listing of instructors teaching private lessons on your instrument. Music major classes may not be taken until an audition has been successfully passed. Contact Music Admissions (236 HMU) at the beginning of the term to arrange a re-audition (either by tape, or during live auditions.)

Music scholarship students must register for lessons every semester while on scholarship assistance (Summer terms excluded), even if degree requirements in applied music have been met.


Voice students are required to obtain accompanists for their applied lessons. In addition, other instrumentalists will, from time to time, need to obtain the services of an accompanist. Most piano majors and principals are required to do a certain amount of accompanying as part of their undergraduate curriculum, and others maintain regular accompanying loads. Check the College of Music bulletin board on the third floor of KMU for available accompanists, or ask fellow students or your teacher for recommendations. Make sure you discuss your accompanist's rates and payment plan up front. Failure to pay your accompanist can result in a hold on your registration.

Music Theory

All music majors must complete a two year sequence of Basic Music Theory and Sight Singing/Ear Training course work as follows (Music minors must complete only the first three semesters.)

MUT 1111 Music Theory I
MUT 1241L Sight Singing/Ear Training I
MUT 1112 Music Theory II
MUT 1242L Sight Singing/Ear Training II
MUT 2116 Music Theory III
MUT 2246L Sight Singing/Ear Training III
MUT 2117 Music Theory IV
MUT 2247L Sight Singing/Ear Training IV

Exemption exams for Theory I and II are given before the first class day of each fall and spring semester at the discretion of the Theory Faculty. Sight Singing/Ear Training exemption exams are given during the first class session. Students receiving exemption credit will be permitted to change or drop theory courses as appropriate. Theory and Sight Singing/Ear Training exemptions are awarded with credit. ( click here for details)

Music majors with a score of 3 or better on both subsections of the AP Music Theory exam will earn credit for MUT 1111 and MUT 1241, however, our theory faculty (several of whom grade AP Theory Exams) are convinced that just earning a passing score on the AP Theory exam does not mean you have the knowledge to do well in Theory 2. They strongly recommend you take our exemption exams to ensure you are starting with the appropriate course.

Transfer students should contact Dr. Evan A. Jones -- eajones@fsu.edu -- in order to discuss their previous coursework in music theory and aural skills.  Due to inevitable differences between programs, it may be necessary to attempt one or more exemption exams in order to determine the most appropriate course placement(s).

Students not passing the First-Year Theory Placement exam given before Orientation will not be allowed to start the Music Theory sequence until completion of MUT 1001, which must be taken the first semester at FSU.

Music History

All music majors must complete the following 10 hour Music History/Literature sequence:

MUL 2110 Survey of Music Literature - 2 credit hours (prerequisite: MUT 1111 and MUT1112)
MUH 2512 Music Cultures of the World - 2 credit hours
MUH 3211 Music History I - 3 credit hours (prerequisite: MUL 2110 and MUH 2512)
MUH 3212 Music History II - 3 credit hours (prerequisite: MUH 3211)

Watch prerequisites! Students registering for Music History courses without required prerequisites will be dropped!!

Music Minors complete only 7 hours in Music History: MUL 2110, MUH 2512, and MUH 3211 or MUH 3212.

Transfer students with Music History/Literature credit from their transfer institution must contact Dr. Denise Von Glahn (309 LON, 644-3721), for transcript evaluation and determination of Music History Requirements at Florida State.


Refer to your program of study guide for specific ensemble requirements. Pianists should note the MUN 2510/4513 (Accompanying) requirement in certain majors.

Freshmen and sophomores (0-59 hours) register for ensembles at the 2000 level.

Juniors and seniors (60+ hours) register at the 4000 level.

You will specify registration for 0 or 1 credit hour during Online Registration. Note that ALL degrees require a certain number of ensemble credits to be taken at the upper division (4000) level.

Many ensembles require auditions which will not take place until the first few days of classes. Register for the ensembles in which you would like to participate. If the ensemble is unavailable, or if you do not pass the audition, you may DROP/ADD ensembles through the fourth day of classes. (If audition results list is not posted by the fourth day, you must see Meghan McCaskill [203 HMU] for ensemble DROP/ADD.

Students should not "overload" on ensembles. Ensembles are a tremendous time commitment, and students should generally not register for more than two per semester.

Music scholarship students must register for at least one APPROPRIATE ensemble each semester on scholarship assistance.

A list of available ensembles may be found later in this Handbook.

The FSU College of Music does not enroll non-FSU students in academic ensembles (ensembles offered by the College of Music for credit).  Ensemble directors may recommend to the Office of Undergraduate Studies at the College of Music that an individual exception be granted.  This exception is only good for one academic year and must be renewed by the ensemble director and the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

Student Recital Attendance

Students should register for MUS 1010 (zero hours credit, S/U graded) during their first term at FSU and each subsequent term until MUS 1010 requirements are complete.

First time freshman Music majors must complete six semesters of MUS 1010 with a grade of 'S' (which requires attendance of at least 15 recitals during the term). Music minors must complete two semesters.

Transfers who were Music majors at their previous institution modify their MUS 1010 requirement as follows:

Freshman Music transfers (less than 30 hours)
Music majors: 6 semesters required
Music minors: 2 semesters required

Sophomore Music transfers (30 hours completed)
Music majors: 4 semesters required
Music minors: 1 semester required

Junior Music transfers (60 hours completed)
Music majors: 2 semesters required
Music minors: 1 semester required

Senior Music transfers (90 hours completed)
Music majors: 1 semester required
Music minors: 1 semester required

  • Transfers who were not Music majors at their previous institution must successfully complete six (6) semesters of MUS 1010.
  • Music scholarship students must successfully complete MUS 1010 during each semester registered for MUS 1010.
  • Rules for completion of MUS 1010 are posted on Blackboard ( http://campus.fsu.edu), and are available upon request in HMU 203.
Special Requirements

Music Education & Music Therapy Majors

Music Education majors should take the General Knowledge portion of the Florida Teachers Certification Exam (FTCE) during their first term. (Be sure to request that official FTCE scores be reported to FSU when registering for the exam. Take unofficial scores to Dr. Kelly as soon as the exam is completed.)

During their second term Music Education majors should apply for "Education Preparation" through the College of Education; typically done online.

Music Therapy majors should take MUE 3091 - Orientation to Music Therapy (1 hour S/U graded) during their first or second term in residence.

Professional Sequence: The following upper Division courses in Music Education constitute the professional sequence (refer to curriculum guide). All courses must be completed with a grade of 'B-' or better.

  • MUE 3311 Reading and Teaching Music: Elementary
  • MUE 3334 Assessment & Teaching Music: Secondary
  • MUE 3343 Instr. Program: Strings/Orchestra
  • MUE 3344 Teaching General Music (K-12)
  • MUE 3491/3493 Choral/Instr. Com. Skills for the Musician
  • MUE 3495/3496 Choral/Instr. Com. Skills II
  • MUE 4433 Vocal Pedagogy
  • MUE 4342 Instr. Programs - Bands
  • MUE 4411 Choral Techniques
  • MUE4480 Marching Band Techniques
  • MUE 4481 Jazz Ensemble Techniques
  • MUE 4970 Senior Project Recital
  • MUE 4392 Class Management

With a few exceptions, professional sequence courses may not be taken until students have received approval and completed a Profession Sequence Application (available from Dr. Steven Kelly, 330C KMU, 644-4069). Admission to professional sequence requires:

  • Cumulative GPA of 2.5
  • Music GPA of 3.0
  • Completion of MUE 2040 with C- or better
  • Successful completion of the General Knowledge portion of the FTCE
  • Minimum grade of 'C-' in math and English courses
  •  Satisfactory evaluations from appropriate faculty
  • Successful completion of Sophomore level applied jury

Music Education students must complete the Professional Sequence Application upon completion of 45 hours of coursework.

Music Education and Music Therapy students should be mindful of course pre-requisites. In addition, many Music Education and Music Therapy courses are offered only during specific terms. Consult your advisor for details.

Internship: Music Education majors complete a semester teaching internship following completion of their degree course work. Internship applications, available from Dr. Steven Kelly (330C HMU, 644-4069), must be completed and filed no later than one year prior to the term in which students intend to intern. All other degree requirements must be completed before a student may intern. In order to intern, students must have a Cumulative GPA of at least a 2.5, a Music GPA of at least a 3.0, continued good faculty assessments, and at least a 'B-' in all Professional Sequence courses.

Transfer students with Music Education or Music Therapy course experience should consult Dr. Clifford Madsen, Coordinator of Music Education (024D KMU, 644-3553), or Dr. Jayne Standley, Coordinator of Music Therapy (024B KMU, 644-4565), for possible waiver or substitution of course work.

Junior and Senior transfers may be admitted to Professional Sequence on a provisional basis at the discretion of the Music Education faculty.

The Undecided/Undeclared Major

The major Music Undecided/Undeclared is used for:

  • Students accepted into Music but who have not indicated a specific major.
  • Students requesting Performance, Composition or Music Theory who have not received approval from their respective departments.

Students may remain in a Music Undecided/Undeclared major for two terms after which a major must be declared. Students not declaring a major after two terms will be unable to register for courses until such time as a major is declared.


Students who requested a BM-Performance major, but received a principal Applied Placement Level have not been admitted into the performance program and are assigned the major Music Undecided/Undeclared. These students may pursue, with approval, any undergraduate music degree except BM-Performance, or may later re-audition for the performance program (consult Applied Instructor regarding preparation). In many instrumental areas, only a limited number of students are admitted into the performance program, and in some cases, no freshman students are admitted at all.


Composition majors must submit an application (available in 204C HMU) and sample compositions to Dr. Evan A. Jones (LON 213B, 644-8400) for formal admission into the program. (Completion of MUT 1111 and MUT 1241L are prerequisites for composition lessons.)

BM-Theory majors must submit admission approval forms (available in 204C HMU), to the Coordinator of Music Theory, Dr. Evan A. Jones (LON 213B, 644-8400). Admission is based on the overall FSU GPA and the GPA in representative music courses. Writing samples may also be requested.


Academic Advising resources for the College of Music


Advising First - Undergraduate Music Advisor

Welcome letter from Rachel Ward - College of Music Undergraduate Music Advisor

Welcome to the Florida State University College of Music! As an undergraduate advisor through Advising First, it is my pleasure and passion to advise students about their chosen music degree and university resources during their academic career at FSU, and beyond. By meeting with me once a semester, students will have the most current information on university policies, programs, and a clear understanding of the requirements for their specific major.

When students first arrive at FSU, they are invited to a "Nole Call" which is a preliminary conversation to discuss the student’s goals and interests while attending FSU. From there, students will gain a better understanding of major requirements, course loads, and which major is right for them and what they want to achieve.


Since 2001, Advising First has endeavored to create a network of professional, academic advisors who support students as they establish and realize their personal, academic, and career goals at Florida State University. “Through the relationships with advisors and/or coaches, our students are empowered to take personal responsibility and ownership of their educational endeavors.” To find out more about Advising First, visit www.advisingfirst.fsu.edu.


I have always been involved in music. As a child, teenager, and young adult I made it my business to play with bands and teams, take private lessons for various instruments, and attend as many music-related events as possible. As a Tallahassee native, I attended many concerts at FSU, and have had the privilege of performing on many of its stages. I have taught private lessons for piano, violin, and guitar, and have thoughts of reopening my studio in the future. I have studied under artists like Dr. Charles Hulin, DMA (Julliard, Peabody Institute), Dr. Dan Gordon, PhD (FSU), and Dr. Mark Belfast, PhD. (FSU) at Southeastern University in Lakeland, Florida where I earned my Bachelors of Science in Church Music.

For additional information, questions or concerns, please contact me via e-mail, phone, or in person via the sign-in sheet near my office door.

Rachel Ward
Housewright Music Building (HMU) 205


Faculty Advisors

The following is a directory of faculty advisors organized by degree type.

Bachelor of Music

Degree Advisor
BM-Brass Performance Dr. Chris Moore
BM-Harp Performance Ms. Mary Roman
BM-Jazz Performance Mr. William Peterson 
BM-Organ Performance Dr. Iain Quinn
BM-Percussion Performance Dr. John Parks
BM-Piano Performance Dr. Heidi Williams
BM-String Performance Ms. Corinne Stillwell
BM-Guitar Performance Mr. Bruce Holzman
BM-Voice Performance Dr. Marcía Porter
BM-Woodwind Performance Dr. Deborah Bish
BM-Composition Dr. Liliya Ugay
BM-Music Therapy Ms. Dianne Gregory
BM-Music Theory Dr. Michael Buchler
BM-Music Theatre Dr. Gayle Seaton

Bachelor of Music Education

Degree Advisor
BME- Instrumental Dr. Clifford Madsen
BME-Choral Dr. Judy Arthur
BME-General Dr. Kimberly VanWeelden
BME-Instrumental (Strings) Dr. Kasia Bugaj
Professional Sequence/Internship Dr. Steve Kelly

Bachelor of Arts

Degree Advisor
BA - General (A-J)  Ms. Michelle Stebleton
(K-Z)  Dr. John Drew
BA - Jazz Mr. William Peterson 
BA - Commercial Music Mr. Brian Gaber
BA - Sacred Music Dr. Iain Quinn

Other Advisors

Degree/Program Advisor
Music Undecided Dr. Jane Clendinning
Music Minor Mr. Jeffery Keesecker
Honors Freshman/Sophomore -  Dr. Clifford Madsen
Junior/Senior -  Dr. Nancy Rogers
Special Student/Other Dr. Joanna Hunt
Full-time Undergraduate Advisor for all Music Majors Ms. Rachel Ward

The Music Board of Advisors (BOAs)

The Peer Advising program in the College of Music is known as the BOA (Board of Advisors) program, and its members are called BOAs.  After receiving 16 hours of training, BOAs earn service hours by advising new students at Orientation, helping with College of Music auditions, helping with Accepted Student Previews, conducting tours of the College for prospective students and their parents, helping with the annual College of Music Picnic, ushering for major concerts given at the College, and occasionally helping in the Music Undergraduate Office or the Music Admissions Office at extremely busy times of the year.

Please feel free to email a member of the Music Board of Advisors (BOAs) from the list below with questions of an academic and/or procedural nature appropriate for a peer advisor.  If the BOA assigned to you at orientation is no longer here, contact one with a major or instrument most appropriate for you.

BOAS for 2019-20

Name Major Instrument
Clegg, Maria  Commercial Music – BA  Voice
Conley, Moira  Music/Liberal Arts - BA  Flute
Cooper, Jonathan   Instrumental Music Ed - BME  Trumpet
Crabill, Victoria  Music Therapy - BM  Saxophone
Ferrer, Cassie  Music Therapy - BM  Bassoon
Ferst, Joel  Woodwind Performance - BM  Saxophone
Fodroczi, Stephen  Music/Liberal Arts - BA  Voice
Freeman, Julia  Instrumental Music Ed - BME  French Horn
Gabriel, Emily  Music Therapy - BM  Voice
Gallagher, Leslie  Choral Music Education - BME  Voice
Goldman, Piper  General Music Education - BME  Clarinet
Hagans, Rebekah  Music Therapy - BM  Violin
Holley, Grace  Music/Liberal Arts – BA  Voice
Keoppel, Ashley  Choral Music Education - BME  Voice
Lang, Alexa  String Performance - BM  Violin
Luttkus, Charlotte  Voice Performance - BM  Voice
McKenzie, Elise  Choral Music Education - BME  Voice
Miller, Caleb  Instrumental Music Ed - BME  Saxophone
Osborne, Jovan  Instrumental Music Ed - BME  Saxophone
Porthouse, Brittany  Music/Liberal Arts – BA  Clarinet
Prematilleke, Sanuki  Choral Music Education - BME  Voice
Provost, Kassie  Music Therapy – BM  Clarinet
Ramos, David  Instrumental Music Ed - BME  Saxophone
Rivera, Tasha  General Music Education - BME  Clarinet
Robinett, Carly  Choral Music Education - BME  Voice
Ruffin, Anthony  Instrumental Music Ed - BME  Flute
Tang, Diana  Instrumental Music Ed - BME  Violin
Vinquist, Abby  Music Therapy - BM  Clarinet

Financial Assistance

Music Scholarships, Work study and Employment opportunities


Undergraduate Music Scholarships

College of Music Undergraduate Scholarships

College of Music financial assistance is available in the form of Undergraduate Music Scholarships and Out-of-State Tuition Waivers. These annual scholarship awards are normally renewable provided satisfactory academic and musical progress is demonstrated.

College of Music scholarship assistance ranges from $500 to $3,000 per academic year and is available to undergraduate applicants who demonstrate superior musical ability. Talented non-Florida students may also qualify for a partial waiver of out-of-state tuition (maximum out-of-state award is $8,000 per year). At the time of the admissions audition, new students are recommended for College of Music scholarship assistance by the Applied Music Faculty. Since all applicants are considered for a scholarship when they audition, no College of Music scholarship application is needed. Applicants should check  deadlines for scholarship auditions, however.

The College of Music adheres to the code of ethics of the  National Association of Schools of Music. A transfer applicant from a senior college or university cannot be considered for financial aid for the first semester in residency at FSU without the  approval of the institution from which the transfer is made.

Out-of-State Tuition Reduction Scholarship

In addition to traditional Music Scholarships and Out-of-State Tuition Waivers, FSU offers a tuition reduction scholarship for out-of-state undergraduate students. This competitive scholarship is open to all majors, but is guaranteed for all out-of-state students who are admitted as music majors for Summer or Fall 2017. The exact amount of the scholarship will depend upon the students' course loads and the cost of tuition as set annually by the Florida Legislature and the Florida State University Board of Trustees; however, the tuition reduction will typically result in out-of-state students paying about 2/3 the "normal" rate for tuition. Our intent is that this scholarship will bring down the cost of attending FSU much closer to what students would pay to attend institutions in their home states.

Work Study

For students who have been awarded College Work Study through the FSU Office of Financial Aid, the College of Music offers a variety of work opportunities. Work Study students provide general office assistance in a variety of College of Music administrative offices and are also employed as recital assistants, research assistants, and computer technicians. Work Study students interested in working for the College of Music should contact Aisha Ivey, 204C HMU, 644-4833 no later than the second week of class.

Whether or not a student has been awarded Work Study through the Office of Financial Aid, working in the College of Music part-time might be possible. The following offices in the College of Music often hire students. If interested, please contact them directly.

Contacts for Work Study:

Contact Position Room Phone
Jennie Carpenter Office Assistant HMU 204 644-3424
Katie Redd Stage Management RDCH 644-2043
Jacob Lane Asst. Instrument Library/Lockers HMU 112 644-2272
Tiawana Meeks Office Assistant HMU 202D 644-4649
Michael Strickland MTRC (Computer Lab) KMU 210 644-5788
Laura Gayle Green Library Assistant Music Library 644-5028
Melanie Presnell Office Assistant HMU 203 644-4689
Nick Smith Stage Management KMU 399 644-5486
Michelle Pohto Fiscal Office Assistant KRB 212 644-6572
Dianne Gregory Audio/Visual Technician (Federal Financial Aid Work Study Only) KMU 043A 644-6572
Kristopher Watson Music Admissions HMU 236 644-6102

Student Employment Opportunities

Special Cases

Transfer Credits, Grade Appeals, overloads, and readmittance


Transfer Credits

Transfer credits are evaluated by faculty in specific academic areas:

Area Contact Room Phone
Liberal Studies Undergraduate Studies UCA 3400 644-2451
Music Theory Dr. Evan Jones LON 213B 644-8400
Music History/Literature Dr. Denise Von Glahn LON 309 644-3721
Music Education Dr. Clifford Madsen KMU 042D 644-3554

Recommended First-Term Work for Transfers

The following information is for transfers ready to begin course work in the major beginning their first term at FSU. Refer to Program of Study guides or the University Bulletin for course titles/descriptions. NOTE: Students must meet appropriate prerequisites prior to enrolling in the following course work:

Brass Performance, Percussion Performance, Woodwind Performance

-Any advanced theory course
-Elective course work (see advisor or BOA for suggestions)
-MUL 4441/4442, or MVO 4640 (consult advisor)

Harp Performance

-Any advanced theory course
-Elective course work (see advisor or BOA for suggestions)
-MUS 4905 (Harp Literature) (consult advisor)

Organ Performance

-Any advanced theory course
-Foreign language course
-Elective course work (see advisor or BOA for suggestions)
-MUR 4411 or 4412 (consult advisor)

Piano Performance

-Any advanced theory course
MUL 3481or 3482 as appropriate (Jr. transfers should begin repertory classes their first semester at FSU)
-MVK 2700 or 2701 (consult advisor)
-Piano pedagogy course work
-Other courses as suggested by advisor

String Performance

-MVS 2520, 3530, 4540 as appropriate (Most transfers must sign up for repertory class their first semester on campus)
-Any advanced theory course
Elective course work (see advisor or BOA for suggestions)
MUS 4905 -String Pedagogy
MUN 2210/4213 -Philharmonia or University Symphony (must be taken each semester)

Guitar Performance

-MVS 2526, 3536, 4546 as appropriate (Most transfers must sign up for repertory class their first semester on campus-see Prof. Holzman)
-Any advanced theory course
-Foreign Language course
-Elective course work (see advisor or BOA for suggestions)

Voice Performance

-Any advanced theory course
-Diction/Language courses
-Consult advisor for additional suggestions


-Comp. Lessons -if scores have been submitted and permission has been received -See Dr. Jones.
-Any advanced theory course

Instrumental Music Education

- MUE 2040 -must take!
-A techniques course
-PSY 2012 (General Psychology), if not previously taken
-See Dr. Kelly regarding Professional Sequence and additional course selections

Choral Music Education

-MUE 2040 -must take!
-MUE 3443 or MUE 2412
-PSY 2012 (General Psychology), if not previously taken
-See Dr. Kelly regarding Professional Sequence and additional course selections

General Music Education

-MUE 2040 -must take!
-MUE 3443 or MUE 2412 (as appropriate or consult advisor)
-PSY 2012 (General Psychology), if not previously taken
-See Dr. Kelly regarding Professional Sequence and additional course selections

Music Therapy

-MUE 3091 -must take!
-MUY 3601 (consult advisor)
-MUS 4611 (consult advisor)
-MUE 2440 and/or MUE 2412 (consult advisor)
-MUE 3491 w/ 3495 (consult advisor)
-Begin Behavioral/Health/Natural Sciences course work (consult advisor)

Music Theory

-Advanced Theory courses
-Composition lessons (consult advisor)
-Foreign language course work

Music Theatre


BA - Music

-Upper Division Music Electives (consult advisor)
-Electives - consult advisor or department of minor/second major
-Foreign language course

Grade Appeals

Students may appeal grades they feel they have received unjustly. The Grade Appeal procedure is taken very seriously at Florida State, and students must follow proper procedures and guidelines as outlined in the University Bulletin or the FSU Student Handbook. The first step in the appeals process is for the student to contact the instructor of the course in which a disputed grade was received and to thoroughly discuss the situation with the instructor. In most cases, contacting the instructor will resolve any differences regarding grades.

Taking an Overload

Students seeking to take more than 18 hours must request approval in 204C HMU:

  • With a Dean's approval, students may take a maximum of 21 hours in a term.
  • Typically, College of Music Scholarship students should not enroll for fewer than 12 hours (Summer terms excluded).
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office if receiving aid; certain scholarships and awards stipulate minimum course loads.


Music students who have been out more than one year and have not completed applied music requirements must complete an audition into the College of Music prior to readmission.
Expand All / Collapse All
title-inside title-centered