January 29 | February 12 |
Music Theatre Final Callbacks (on campus)
february 20 | february 27
Accompanying/Opera Coaching Auditions
January 21 | February 18
Who is required to audition, and how are auditions scheduled?
All undergraduate applicants and graduate performance and pedagogy applicants must pass an audition to enter the College of Music. All auditions for 2020-21 will be conducted via video recording submission, submitted on the Application Status Page. Applications submitted by December 1st are given priority consideration for admission, academic scholarships, and financial aid.
Is a prescreening recording required?
Prescreenings are required for the following degree programs:
- BM or BFA in Music Theatre
- BM in Piano Performance (NEW for 2020-21)
- MM or DM in Brass Performance (Euphonium and Tuba only) (NEW for 2020-21)
- MM or DM in Voice Performance
- MM or DM in Piano Performance
- MM in Piano Pedagogy
- MM or DM in Accompanying
- MM in Opera Coaching
Prescreening submissions are due by December 1 and results will be released by December 15. Those applicants with a successful audition will be invited to upload the remaining audition selections to their Application Status Page by February 1. Accompanying and Opera Coaching applicants who pass the prescreening will give a live-remote audition via Zoom.
How do I apply for a scholarship or graduate assistantship?
Everyone who auditions as a music major is automatically considered for talent scholarships and assistantships, and no additional application is necessary. Only graduate students interested in auditioning for Piano Accompanying or Class Piano assistantships are required an additional audition. Contact College of Music Admissions for further details.
Is an accompanist provided?
For 2020-21, all auditions will be conducted by video recording submission. Singers must perform with piano accompaniment (live or pre-recorded track - no a cappella singing, please). Instrumentalists may play unaccompanied.
What are the recorded audition guidelines?
Update for 2020-21: All auditions for 2020-21 will be conducted via video recording submission.
Please note the following guidelines:
- Recorded auditions are to be submitted on the Application Status Page. Recordings must include video - no audio-only recordings, please.
- Recordings should be unedited, Some areas prefer one continuous recording and others prefer individual recordings of each selection. See repertoire requirements for clarification.
- Begin each recording facing the camera and introduce yourself and the piece(s) you are about to present.
- Please ensure that recordings are of the highest quality possible and that all audition requirements are uploaded. We do understand that most applicants will not have access to professional recording equipment - faculty will take this into account in their evaluation.
- CD/DVD submissions will not be accepted - upload your recording(s) to YouTube or Vimeo and attach to the application. YouTube videos may be Public or Unlisted, but not Private.
- Voice auditions must be accompanied - no a cappella singing, please. Instrumentalists may play unaccompanied.
- Exception: Applicants for Music Theatre will not submit recorded auditions. Auditions will be conducted live, either on campus or via Zoom.
Recorded Auditions must be submitted no later than midnight on February 1.