Orchestra strings placement and seating auditions for 2022-2023 will take place LIVE on August 22 and August 24.
Below you will find audition instructions, audition excerpts, and, new this year, online audition registration. Please read everything vary carefully, including specific dates and times for auditions.
Sign up (FSU login required)
Wind and percussion players get their audition information from the Band Department (HMU 101) or directly from your applied professor.
The FSU Chamber Choir, Michael Hanawalt, director, is accepting auditions for the 2022-23 academic year!
We have an exciting year planned, including a performance of Handel’s Messiah in the fall and Craig Hella Johnson’s Considering Matthew Shepherd in the spring. The myriad solos in both works will be selected from the choir.
Rehearsal times are MWF 12:20-1:10. The following is a list of performance dates for the 2022-23 academic year:
|October 8, 7:30pm||Festival of Creative Arts|
|December 2, 7:30pm||Handel: Messiah|
|December 4, 7:30pm||Seasonal Celebration|
|January 21 & 22||Verdi Opera Choruses with the Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra|
|April 15||Craig Hella Johnson – Considering Matthew Shepherd|
Both in-person and pre-recorded auditions are being accepted at this time.
In-person auditionees should be prepared to:
- Sing a brief ascending/descending vocalise lead by Dr. Hanawalt
- Prepare an art song/aria of your choosing. An accompanist will be provided; please provide them with a legible score
For pre-recorded auditions, singers should upload the following materials to YouTube for the audition and submit the links when requested in the form below:
- An ASCENDING vocalise of your choosing, starting in your middle register and repeated by increasing half step until you reach the top of your range. This vocalise should be done TWICE: once at mf dynamic and once at a p dynamic
- A DESCENDING vocalise of your choosing, starting in your middle register and repeated by decreasing half step until you reach the bottom of your range. This vocalise need only to be done ONCE, at a mf dynamic.
- An art song or aria of your choosing. This may be accompanied or sung a cappella and may be taken from a previous performance/recital.
All auditionees, both remote and in-person, should fill out the form available here.
DEADLINE FOR AUDITIONS: April 30, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
April 24, 11:15 a.m. (KMU240)
April 25 11:15 a.m. (KMU 240)
April 25, 2:30 p.m. (KMU 240)
Tuesday, May 2 at 4:00 p.m. (Location to be determined)
By auditioning for University Singers, you are agreeing to participate in the following:
- Class meeting time: 2:30-3:20 p.m. M/T/Th/F
- Rehearsal Retreat (September 15-16 or 22-23)
- Fall Concert—Tour program (November 11)
- Seasonal Celebration Concert (December 3)
- Winter Tour: St. Petersburg • Fort Lauderdale • Miami (January 13-15 ($150))
- Spring Concert (April 19)
- Possible May Tour
Please use the link below to submit your audition materials, which include audio recordings of you performing an accompanied prepared solo and an audio recording of you performing your voice part from “Agnus Dei” by Jacob Narverud (using piano track “audition accompaniment” provided below).
PDF of Agnus Dei excerpt
YouTube link of score provided by the publisher (excerpt begins at 3:04)
Please record yourself singing your voice part with the piano track provided here
Submit your audition materials here