- Many of our graduates operate full or part-time private studios in a wide variety of communities.
- FSU graduates hold full-time teaching positions at many colleges and universities around the nation and play in professional chamber ensembles, orchestras and service bands nationwide.
- Music Education graduates teach at all levels in public school systems across the country. This program enjoys a fifty-year history of 100% job placement.
Engaged Learning & Learning Opportunities
- We host leading performers and pedagogues as guest artists annually.
- Each studio holds weekly master classes that further enriches learning the community.
- The annual Young Artists Competition and Doctoral Concerto Competition offer a high-level competitive opportunity for solo performances with extraordinary FSU orchestras.
- Students travel to attend, perform, and compete at the National Trumpet Competition, International Horn Society, International Trombone Association, and the International Tuba Euphonium Association.
- As part of the learning community graduate students get experience rehearsing and conducting studio and chamber ensembles.
Knowledge in Practice & How We Serve
- Summer Music Camps
- Tri-State Music Festival
- New Music Festival
- Numerous guest artists and clinicians
- International Trumpet Guild
- International Horn Society
- International Trombone Association
- American Trombone Workshop
- International Tuba Euphonium Association
We have an outstanding record of placing our graduates in teaching positions, Symphony Orchestras and Military Bands and graduate programs across the country and around the world.
Undergraduate to Graduate School Placement
The Julliard School · New England Conservatory · Manhattan School of Music · Cleveland Institute of Music · University of Texas at Austin · University of Michigan · San Francisco Conservatory · Northwestern University · Yale University · Southern Methodist University · Baylor University · California Institute of the Arts · University of Iowa ·Conservatory of Music – Luagno, Switzerland
Bands and Symphonies
United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps · Dallas Symphony · Jacksonville Symphony · Milwaukee Symphony · Birmingham Symphony · Greenville (SC) Symphony · Charleston Symphony · New Mexico Symphony · Wheeling (WV) Symphony · Northwest Florida Symphony · Pensacola Symphony · Tallahassee Symphony · Ocala Symphony · Sinaloa (Mexico) Symphony · Sarajevo Philharmonic · Amman Symphony Orchestra (Jordan) · the highly successful reed quintet, Akropolis
The College of Music and the Brass area regularly host leading performers and teachers as guest presenters. Recent guests have included:
Barbara Butler (Trumpet, Rice University) · James Markey (Trombone, Boston Symphony Orchestra) · David Hickman (Trumpet, Arizona State University) · Jason Bergman (Trumpet, University of North Texas) · The Army Brass Quintet · Mark Lusk (Penn State University) · Brad Palmer (Columbus State) · Brian Hecht (Trombone, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) · Nathan Zgonc (Trombone, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) · Axiom Brass · Music City Trombone Duo (Brian Entwistle and Jeremy Wilson · Jarret McCourt (Tuba, New World Symphony) · David Zerkel (Tuba, University of Georgia) · Austin Howle (Principal Tuba, Montreal Symphony Orchestra) · Kazuhiro Nakamura (Professor of Tuba, Osaka College of Music in Tokyo)