Sample Exemption Exam for MVK 3131 A and B-Group Piano
Directions: To exempt MVK 3131 A and B, you must demonstrate proficiency for the following objectives. Please study the objectives and sample music examples. If you believe that you are not ready, sign up for MVK 3131 A.
If you believe that you can demonstrate proficiency for the following objectives, then continue with the exam. Your evaluator will choose 5 of the following 7 objectives that you will play for the exam. Please line up and wait for your turn. The exam will last approximately 6 minutes.
1. I can perform any of the 12 major scales and/or 12 harmonic minor scales (hands together, 2 octaves, moderate tempo, correct fingering and notes).
2. I can perform all five forms of 7th chords hands together over any given root (in any inversion).
3. I can harmonize the following minor melody using the chords as indicated in the left hand. I also can transpose the harmonization up or down a major or minor 3rd at sight. Here is a representative example:
4. I can perform any of the following solo repertoire pieces musically.
Schumann: Important Event (from Scenes from Childhood, Op. 15 no. 6)
Grieg: Album-leaf, Op. 12 no. 7 (from Lyric Pieces)
5. I can harmonize the following using at least one secondary dominant (out of key V or V7) chord. You may indicate the chords under the example, if needed. Here is a representative example:
6. I can sight-read an early intermediate piece of solo repertoire. Here is a representative example:
7. I can play ONE of the following open-score examples– one choral score OR one instrumental with transposing instruments. The following are examples of the types of excerpts to be given at site.
Score: ____ out of 5.