Sample Exemption Exam for MVK 2121 A and B-Group Piano
Directions: To exempt MVK 2121 A and B, you must demonstrate proficiency for the following objectives. Please study the objectives and sample music examples. If you believe that you are not ready, sign up for MVK 2121A.
If you believe that you can demonstrate proficiency for the following objectives, then continue with the exam. Your evaluator will choose 5 of the following 7 objectives that you will play for the exam. Please line up and wait for your turn. The exam will last approximately 6 minutes.
1. I can perform any of the 12 major scales and/or harmonic minor scales (hands together in parallel motion, 2 octaves, slow tempo, correct fingering and notes, without any visual aids.)
2. I can perform the five types of seventh chords with any note as the root.
3. I can harmonize the following melody using the chords, I, IV, ii, vi, and V7, in the left hand. Use at least one ii and vi chord (You may write in the chords you are going to play). Here is a representative example:
4. I can perform one of the following solo repertoire pieces musically.
Bartók: Jest or Happy Dance (from For Children, Vol 1, no. 27)
Heller: The Avalanche, Op. 45, no. 2 (from 25 Studies)
5. I can transpose a late elementary piece (both hands) up or down a major or minor 2nd. Here is a representative example:
6. I can sight read a late elementary piece of solo repertoire. Here is a representative example:
7. I can play the following open-score example. (to be provided on-site)
This is a representative example:
Score: ____ out of 5.