TRI-STATE BAND FESTIVAL AND CONDUCTING CONFERENCE
to DECEMBER 3rd
This annual event is designed to provide rewarding musical experiences for high school band students and their directors.
Nominations are now closed
Directors will be informed on student selection in mid-October via email
The dates for the 2017 Tri-State Festival are Thursday, November 30 thru Sunday, December 3rd on the campus of Florida State University.
Each year, the festival features nationally and internationally renowned guest conductors and FSU music faculty in an intensive schedule of rehearsals, masterclasses, professional clinics, and concerts.
The conductors for the 2017 Tri-State Festival are Alan Mills (Colorado State University-Pueblo), Karen Fannin (University of Nebraska- Omaha), Scott Boerma (Western Michigan University), Phil Wharton (Florida Bandmasters Association, Retired 37 years), and Robert Morgan (Houston’s High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, Retired 24 years).
Registration Prices for the 2017 Tri-State Festival are as follows:
- $260.00 for overnight students
- $210.00 for local students
Prices include the following:
- Hotel Lodging (for overnight students)- Double Tree Downtown, Tallahassee
- Transportation during the festival timeline
- All meals during the festival timeline
- The Tri-State Banquet
- Music Costs
- All instructional costs- directors, conductors, and masterclasses
- Recording of Concerts
Directors will be notified of accepted students in early/mid-October. Registration will open up in early/mid-October.
PRISM Concert Information
All students and directors who attend Tri-State get to attend the FSU PRISM Concert, a non-stop, surround sound band spectacular
- Dates for the PRISM Concerts are November 28th, November 29th, November 30th, and December 1st 2017, all at 7:30pm in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall
- For Ticket Sales, please contact the FSU College of Music Box Office at 850-645-7949, Monday-Friday, from 11:00am-2pm.
- For Group Sales, please contact Kim Shively at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Edition PRISM takes place on Sunday, February 4th, 2018 at 2:00PM in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall. For information on the Special Edition PRISM Concert, please visit the Opening Nights Website https://openingnights.fsu.edu/events/prism/
2017 Tri-State Conducting Clinic Application Information
Now accepting applications for participation in the 2017 Tri-State Conducting Clinic!
This clinic is open to all Band Directors attending the Tri-State Music Festival. Selected participants will conduct the FSU Wind Orchestra and received feedback from Professor Richard Clary, Senior Wind Band Conductor at FSU.
We will accept 3-4 participants.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a short resume and summary of formal conducting studies via email to Professor Richard Clary at email@example.com
How to nominate a student (For Band Directors Only) - CLOSED
- Only directors may nominate a student.
- Students must be in 11th or 12th grade to participate.
- You will need to complete a separate nomination for each student.
- Nominations are due no online later than Sunday, October 1st.
When nominating more than one student, you must “rank” them by order, and you cannot duplicate numbers. For instance, if you are nominating five students, you should rank them on their nomination form in the order for which you would like them to be considered, so that your “top” student is number 1, next is number 2, etc. If you duplicate a number, such as nominating more than one student as number “1” for your school, it will cause problems with the software that we use to organize the information for this event. In the past we have had problems with students being left out of the festival because of the glitch this causes. Please be aware of this as you nominate students so that we can avoid any mistakes.
- Honors Jazz Ensemble audition recordings are due by Sunday, October 1st. These auditions should be both audio and video recorded. Please send these electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Audition excerpts will be available September 1st on the website under the link titled “Honors Jazz Ensemble.”
- Concert Band students will complete an audition on the FSU Campus on the first day of the Tri‐State Festival.;
- You will be notified of acceptance by mid‐October, and at that point you or your;students will need to complete two steps to be registered: 1) visit the website again to complete registration (a new “registration” link will be added to the website at that time), and 2) mail in payment (by school or individually.) Students are not officially registered until the registration is completed on the website and their payment has been received. All registrations must be confirmed via the website and all payments received no later than Friday, November 3rd.
Honors Jazz Ensemble Audition Information - CLOSED
- Auditions should be a video recording (visibly showing the student playing the audition requirements). The quality does not have to be the highest professional grade, but does need to have a clear picture and sound.
- Video recorded auditions should be emailed to email@example.com
- Video recorded auditions should be in MP4 format
- Make sure to include in the email the NAME, SCHOOL, BAND DIRECTOR NAME, and CONTACT INFO (email, phone number) of the student auditioning
- STRING BASS AUDITIONS are also asked to record and submit the following scales along with the audition excerpts:
- C Major two octave, quarter note = 130
- Bb Major two octave, quarter note = 130
- Gb Major two octave, quarter note = 130
- Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Guitar, Drums, and Piano only need to record and submit the excerpts listed on the Tri-State Website