Camp Life:

Medical Care

Many campers never need medical care while at camp.  By far the most common medical complaints are minor ailments such as headaches, fatigue and stomach aches.  Should a camper need medical attention or to take medications while at camp, here is what you can expect.


The FSU Summer Music Camps does not have a nurse on staff and employees of the Summer Music Camps are not responsible for making health decisions on behalf of the campers.

All medical care will be given by a health professional at one of the facilities listed here.  Campers age 13 and over who experience health problems while at camp during the hours of 9am-4pm will be treated at the FSU Wellness Center. Campers age 12 and under will be treated at Patients First, a local urgent care facility. Patients First will also be used for non-emergency, after-hours treatment for campers of all ages. The Tallahassee Memorial Hospital or Capital Regional Medical Center will be utilized for all emergency situations.

If a camper does not necessarily need medical treatment but they are not feeling well enough to attend classes or activities on a particular day, the camper can rest in Sick Bay (located in the dorm adjacent to the dorm office).

Telling Us About The Camper

One of the required supplemental forms is a Medical Information Form. This form is used to alert of us of any ongoing medical issues or conditions and to instruct us to who you would like medications to be administered. Once you are registered for camp you will be required to fill out this form and to include as much information as possible. No vaccine history or physical examination by a doctor is required.

Ongoing Conditions or Concerns

Our camp can accommodate students that have medical conditions, even those that may restrict participation in activities, and we are happy to work with your family to make your campers experience as carefree as possible. Give us a call in the office to discuss how we will be able to assist your camper. If your son or daughter has an ongoing medical condition, has a history of other ailments, or was recently hospitalized for any reason, please alert us on the Medical Information Form or contact us directly in the office to talk through arrangements. Before you come to camp, be sure that your child knows to alert an adult immediately if they are experiencing any signs or symptoms.

Taking Medications At Camp

The Summer Music Camps has the same policy for both prescription and over-the-counter medications:

All medications must be turned into the camp office at check-in and will be administered by camp staff UNLESS a Medication Permission Statement has been signed and submitted.

A Medication Permission Statement allows campers to administer their own medications and acknowledges that the camper is fully responsible for securing their medications and taking them as directed by your or the child’s physician. In this case, the camp staff will not be involved with your campers medications.

The only medications which may be in the camper’s possession without a signed medication permission form are rescue inhalers and Epi-Pens. Campers may keep vitamins or supplements in their rooms.

Medication Administration is divided into three categories:

  • Daily/Routine Medications Administered By Camp Staff
  • Daily/Routine Medications Administered By Camper
  • As-Needed Medications

Daily / Routine Medications Administered by Camp Staff

If a camper will be taking daily/routine medications (prescription or over-the-counter) which will be administered by camp staff, they must be turned over to the counselors at camp check-in. Medications will be held in the camp office and the camper will come to the camp office at the appropriate time to take the medication. Medications shall be dispensed according to written directions on the label. A log is kept in the camper's record of each dose. Though the camp staff is not responsible for ensuring that campers take their medications, campers that do not come to take for their medications may be pulled from class so that they can take it. The Summer Music Camps also reserves the right to have medication administered by the Health & Wellness Center if necessary or to contact parents if the camper is not taking the medication as directed.

It is the parents responsibility to:

  • Provide medications in their original container. Prescription medications should have a label stating the name of the physician, child’s name, name of the medication and the medication directions.
  • Provide exact dosing information on a sheet to be signed by a parent (required) or the physician (preferred)
  • Provide updates and/or changes to medication usage and/or dosage.
  • Provide ample medication at the start of camp.
  • Ensure that the medications have actually been given to the counselor on the first day of camp.

We suggest that parents pack medications in a large, Ziplock bag marked with the camper’s name on the outside and place a copy of the sheet of dosing instructions inside the bag.

Daily / Routine Medications Administered by Camper

If you prefer that a camper be able to administer their own daily/routine medications (prescription or over-the-counter) you will need to sign a Medication Permission Statement. This statement requests that the camper be permitted to keep his/her medications on their person on in their room rather than turning the medications over to camp staff for administration.; You will also acknowledge that your child will be solely responsible for these medications and for taking them as directed, and that it is not permissible for your child to provide medications to other camper(s) and that doing so may result in dismissal from camp.

As-Needed Medications

There are scenarios where a camper may need to take medication at camp which they did not expect to take or that they do not take on a regular basis. In these cases you have several options; you may choose one or more of these methods which you will indicated to us on your supplemental medical form:

A. You may send a supply of medications (prescription or over-the-counter) to be used as-needed by the camper. In this case you must select whether:

  1. the camper will administer these as-needed medications on their own and you will sign the Medication Permission Statement OR
  2. the medications will be turned-in to the camp office at check-in and the camp staff will administer them.

B. You can allow camp staff to administer select over-the-counter medications from our camp supply. On the supplemental forms you will have an opportunity to approved specific ones.

C. Any as-needed medications may only be accessed by the camper by going for treatment at the FSU Health & Wellness Center, Patients First, Tallahassee Memorial Hospital or other care facility and then supplied by medical personnel in collaboration with you.


FSU requires that all students provide proof of medical insurance (or Military ID) in order to participate in the camp. If your family does not have medical insurance you will be asked to indicate this on the Statement of Voluntary Consent Form and agree that all medical costs which may be incurred at camp will be the family's responsibility. Please contact us at 850.644.9934 if you have any questions.

Back To Camp Life

Legacy Sort
Legacy Priority