Sample Exemption Exam for MVK 1111 A and B-Group Piano
Directions: To exempt MVK 1111 A and B, you must demonstrate proficiency for the following objectives. Please study the objectives and sample music examples. If you believe that you are not ready, sign up for MVK 1111 A.
If you believe that you can demonstrate proficiency for the following objectives, then continue with the exam. Your evaluator will choose at least 5 of the following 7 objectives that you will play for the exam. Please line up and wait for your turn. The exam will last approximately 10 minutes.
1. I can perform any of the 12 major scales and harmonic minor scales, played hands together, 2 octaves, without any visual aids.
2. I can perform the following chord progression in any of the 12 major or minor keys: I IV I V7 I
3. I can harmonize the following melody using the chords, I, IV, and V7, in the left hand. Here is a representative example:
4. I can perform one of the following solo repertoire pieces musically.
Burgmuller: La Pastorale (from Progressive Etudes, Op. 100, no. 3)
Gurlitt: The Fair, Op. 101, no. 8
Kabalevsky: "Clowns", from 24 Pieces for Children, Op. 39 no. 20
5. I can transpose an excerpt in G major up or down a half step. Here is a representative example:
6. I can sight read a simple piece of solo repertoire. Here is a representative example:
7. I can play major, minor, diminished, or augmented triads in root position, in any key.